Metkut /Metkut Bhaat (मेतकुट / मेतकुट भात) Is an Ultimate Comfort Food. Metkut is an age old traditional recipe passed down through generations in the Maharashtrian household. It is a simple grounded powder made from different types of dals, grains and spices which are dry roasted and then grounded to a fine powder. Whenever anyone falls sick with fever in Maharashtrian homes, they are given metkut rice. When one has fever, rice is the best food to eat since it is easy to digest. At home we cook rice with lots of water, mix it with metkut, ghee and salt to taste. This type of rice preparation is called “Gurgutya Bhaat” (गुरगुट्या भात). Add a dash of lemon pickle to it to raise the yummy quotient. This is also a delicious one pot meal. Sometimes just use the water of cooked rice called in Marathi as “Pej” (पेज), add a little bit of metkut to it, some ghee and have it as a soup. This is a lazy recipe of soup that can prepared when in a mood for something healthy, nourishing and needs minimal effort. Do try it when it’s raining outside.
- 2 cup Chana Dal
- 1/2 cup Udad Dal
- 1/4 cup Moong Dal
- 1/4 cup Rice Grains
- 1 tbsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp Red chili powder/ black pepper powder
- 1 tbsp Hing/Asafoetida
- 1 tbsp Grated Soonth/Dry Ginger
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds (use red mustard seeds)
- 1 tbsp Cumin seeds
- Heat a pan. Dry roast all dals except moong dal, rice separately.
- Do not roast these together as dals and grains different timings to get nicely roasted. Let it cool.
- Dry Roast red mustard seed with Moong Dal.
- Turn off the heat. While the pan is hot warm up the spices – Turmeric powder, Hing /Asafoetida, red chili powder, dry Ginger.
- Once cooled down, grind all roasted ingredients and Spices in a grinder till fine powder, separately.
- Mix the spices and dal powder well. Sieve to get a fine powder. Store in an air tight container.
Some other serving suggestion using Metkut
- In curd add Metkut, chopped coriander & onion, pinch of salt, temper this with tsp of ghee, a different raita is ready..
- Toast of bread slice, apply home made butter, sprinkle metkut, and salt, eat when toast is hot
- You can add this powder to your chivda
- Make a metkut pohe by using this powder.
Health Benefits of Metkut
- Metkut is low in calories and high in iron, folate and an excellent source of protein and dietary fiber.
- It helps to prevent constipation and other digestive disorders like IBS.
- It is an excellent source of protein for vegetarians and vegans.
- Dietary fiber helps to reduce blood cholesterol levels and lower risk of heart disease.
- Magnesium is a mineral used in building bones and muscles.
- It helps to boost metabolism and help keep blood vessels healthy.
- It has antioxidant properties that ease inflammation.